We understand that the transition from Primary to Secondary School is a very big and scary step for you and your child. At Archie we want to do whatever we can to ease your worries as a parent/carer and to make our new students feel at home and quickly become a part of the ‘Archie’ family.
To help the transition process be as smooth as possible and to ease the anxiety that year 6 pupils feel, we provide a wide-ranging and unique transition programme.
Here at Archbishop Sentamu Academy we have a Transition Co-coordinator who is dedicated full-time to providing information and support to new year 7 students as well as working closely with our partner primary schools throughout the year.
At the start of Y6 in late September there is an Open Evening held at the Academy, this evening will give you and your child an opportunity to look around our Academy building and see for yourself the outstanding facilities we have on offer. Our subject teams provide ‘taster’ workshops for your child to participate in and to help gain an insight into life at Archbishop Sentamu Academy. Within the evening there is a presentation by the Academy Principal, Andrew Chubb. This will provide you with information about the academy including the transition process from primary to secondary school as well as information concerning the curriculum covered in Year 7 and beyond.
Below is a timeline for the transition and admissions process:
*Approx dates based on the previous year*
- 5th September – 31st October – Parents/Carers can apply for their secondary place
- 1st March – Letters and emails are sent to parents/carers confirming school allocations and offering the right of appeal where necessary.
- March/April – Archbishop Sentamu Academy ‘Welcome Packs’ posted out to Parents/Carers.
- Friday 9th June – Deadline for Transition Week Consent Forms – in order for your child/children to attend our transition week, a consent form must be completed and submitted.
- Wednesday 12th July – Parents Transition Welcome Evening – This evening is where parents/carers are given information about our Transition Week. This is also an opportunity to meet your child’s/children’s tutor and House team.
- Monday 17th July – Thursday 21st July – Transition Week – Your child will spend an introductory 4 days at the Academy to give them a taste of life at ‘Archie.’ This will be an opportunity for your child to get to know other new year 7s, to familiarise themselves with Academy routines and to meet staff and peers so that they will feel comfortable and secure when lessons begin properly in the Autumn term.
From the Spring Term our Transition Coordinator will be visiting our Partner Primary Schools, meeting our soon to be year 7 students. She will be meeting with Y6 teachers and SENCOs to gather important information about your child, which will be passed on to the ASA team to make transition as smooth as possible.
If you have any questions regarding our transition process and support please email email@example.com